The author presents single-screw extrusion technology together with the relevant polymer fundamentals, with an emphasis on screw design. The presentation begins on a physical level, providing an in-depth conceptual understanding, followed by an analytical level with mathematical models. Practical applications of the mathematical models are illustrated by numerous examples. A brief description of twin-screw extrusion technology is also presented.
New in the third edition: a novel patented barrier screw design that eliminates shortcomings of all previous barrier screw designs, more descriptive specific screw design guidelines, a scientifically designed pineapple mixing section, and general improvements and corrections.
- Physical Description of Single-Screw Extrusion
- Fundamentals of Polymers and Melt Rheology
- Theories of Single-Screw Extrusion and Scale-Up
- Screw Design and High Performance Screws
- Gear Pumps, Static Mixers, and Dynamic Mixers
- Die Design
- Viscoelastic Effects in Melt Flow
- Special Single-Screw Extruder with Channeled Barrel
- Physical Description of Twin-Screw Extruders